Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sermon: Fourth Sunday of Easter

Justin Yawn, seminarian

Here we gather again on the fourth Sunday of Easter. It is a day where we hear the texts that many of us here might find familiar. First, we hear about Peter and John defending their actions to the Sanhedrin. Proclaiming the love of God and not denying it. Next, John, in our lesson, tells us about the love of God and how it should be incarnated in the love we have for others. Lastly, we approach the Gospel, the famous image of Christ as the Good Shepherd. Many people in the world use the image of a shepherd to describe Jesus. All of these stories are rich and full of meaning, but I want to focus on our two passages attributed to John.

The Gospel today portrays Christ as the Good Shepherd. As I mentioned earlier, it is a common image, but, I do not know about you all, I actually do not know exactly what a shepherd’s life is like today or even in 1st century Judea. Have no fears I did some research into the subject. Shepherds, in Jesus’ time, were really cut off from most of society. Their main job was to insure that their flock had water and food. If they were serious, as I think Jesus is depicted as, they would actually sleep outside with the sheep to insure their safety. However, their obedience to their flock put their own life in danger. It was a job that had to be taken seriously. It was not a job for the weak, but a job for the dedicated and strong. Shepherding in the desert had its own challenges. Water was not an abundant resource in the desert as many people may know if they have been to a desert before. Predators abided in many places and the sheep often wanted to go into the dark corners for shelter. The shepherd had to keep track of all of these things.

As Lawrence Moore points out, “Jesus, in John 10, picks up on the “frontline” aspect of shepherding: “I am the gate” (10:7) and, in our text this week, “I am the good shepherd”. Note that this follows on immediately from the verse, “I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly”. Jesus then moves immediately into the image of the shepherd whose “goodness” is seen in laying down his life for the sheep. Jesus is not saying, “I am the good shepherd because I am prepared to lay down my life for the sheep”. This is not about risk-taking. Jesus is the shepherd who will give abundant life to the sheep at the expense of his own life.

Jesus has reminded us that he has the ability to protect us. Our response to this loving kindness is to follow, follow Christ where he leads us. Christ says that he did what the father commanded and gave up his life for others. He acted in obedience, more importantly; his life was centered on God. Christ loved us and Christ loved God. We too are called to that place of love. To love others as a shepherd loves their flock. Christ had God, and we have both to lead and guide us. This is a gift that we should not take for granted. Knowing that Christ is our protector and leader is the first step toward living into the faith Christ calls us too.

When I was a young boy about 12 I was involved in the Boy Scouts of America. I spent many nights camping and scurrying around remote marsh hammocks with my friends and my father. One particular thing I disliked to do was go out at night and collect firewood in the dark. I was always scared that I might stumble onto a snake or maybe even the boogie man would get me. It never occurred to me that my dad was right there with me the entire time. He was keeping his eye on me and he always knew when I needed help or was very scared. Many times he would come and walk with me, so I would not worry about the creatures of the night. I felt safe. Dad was my shepherd who looked after me, whom I trusted and loved completely. Eventually, I became comfortable in this relationship and was able to go out and get my work done without him standing right next to me. However, I always knew he was watching over me and he was only a call away if I needed him.

This is what the risen life of Christ is about. Christ has been there by our side and Christ is there with us even when we don’t see him. Just as a Shepherd stays with its flock, so too does Christ stay with us. Our life with Christ calls us to embody the love he has for us and express this love to those around us. In one sense, we are sheep who rely on Christ and in another sense we are the instruments of Christ in the world.

Our epistle today encourages us to live out our faith. James, mentions in his letter that faith without works is dead (James 2:17). Here too, John is making a similar claim that we should let our love for Christ overwhelm us and lead us to love those around us. It is incarnating our faith in Christ that leads to transformative power in the world. It leads us to places that we would not normally go. It leads us to Honduras, New Orleans, Serbia, Africa, India, Haiti, and the list goes on. Our love for Christ helps us to recognize those in need around us. We do not just keep this love concealed for ourselves and for those whom we trust but we express to all people.

Last night at our Welcome Table Service, Ed spoke about the Clean Water ministry in Haiti. Particularly he spoke about prayer and how he understood prayer in his own life. But, what I saw standing before the congregation last night was a man who was incarnating the love of God. He was not letting his own fears or faith become a stumbling block. Ed found a way to touch God’s creation in transformative ways. When I look out in the congregation this morning I see faces of people who reach out to those around them and embody the love of God the same way Ed does. People who are not afraid to act in love. People who look at outreach as a normal part of their lives. The mission statement of Holy Trinity is a wonderful witness to the love each congregant here has for those around them. Holy Trinity challenges us to open hearts to God and doors to community. If I had time this morning I would tell stories about the various times I have seen this mission statement embodied by parishioners here. Your faith is strong and it is through this faith that you are acting.

Robert Cole-Turner says that faith is never alone and when God creates saving faith in our hearts, God creates active love. Everyone sitting here today has the saving faith of Christ in their hearts and we must remember this and continue the work.

We are the body of Christ on Earth and it is our job to live out our faith in our actions. For some this comes in the form of outreach to those in need. For others it might be a simple act of kindness and even for others it might be taking time to pray for someone who has hit a rough patch in their life. There is not one uniform way to live out your faith. The important thing we need to remember is that Christ is our leader and protector and all we need to do is align ourselves with the will of God and trust in Christ.

If you think back to Holy Week, our readings on Holy Thursday included two commandments Christ left us with are echoed in the epistle today. First to love God and secondly to love our neighbor. I know Holy Week is long past and we are into the joy of the Easter season and resurrection. But, these two commandments are important to remember as we live into the risen life. It is an easy task God calls us to. When we live into this risen life Christ challenges us, challenges us to seek and serve those around us. To remember that everyone of God’s creation is our sister or brother. Also, we must not forget that Christ is with us and guiding us every step of the way. Christ is our shepherd, protector, and friend. The one who will never leave our sides, but one who calls us to live out our faith in the world and to reflect God in all that we do.

When we begin to live out this faith, things happen. Wells are dug providing water to over 60,000 Haitians, with more on the way. Communities are developed and concrete floors are placed in houses that previously only had dirt floors. People travel to the Gulf Coast to provide houses to those who are living in shelters. Someone takes the time to call a friend who just experienced a tragedy and offers peace. Acting in faith leads to love of those around us which ultimately provides hope. I tell you today, my friends, that I believe this is what it means to live into the risen life of Christ.

No comments: